Monday, December 28, 2015

...the fullness of Joy

December 28, 2015

The instinct to acknowledge that the joy of Christmas doesn't come easily to many is a good one.  Many churches have "Blue Christmas" services earlier in December.  But with patience, the liturgical calendar will tell the whole story.  Joy, after all, is not the absence of pain or suffering but the presence and companionship of God.

Holy Innocents...they are all around me...all around the world.  They are those who have no room in my society, unwanted and unseen, lest my joy become too complicated.  

Refugees.  They are the image of Holy Innocents for me this year.  My mind’s eye sees the images from months ago…frightened, peace-seeking, thousands with no ground beneath their feet...no safe place...no welcome.  


What, in my little, safe, comfortable corner of the world, might I offer on this feast day of remembering?  Perhaps, it is to remember well beyond this feast day...to remain attentive to small opportunities to offer safety and comfort...to holy innocents whose life in the flesh meets mine.  That is the presence I must see to make my joy real.

No comments:

Post a Comment