Sunday, December 13, 2015

BLESS THEM, CHANGE ME

THIRD SUNDAY OF ADVENT

The crowds, followed by tax collectors, followed by soldiers…all of them with the same question:  What should we do? And John responds: share, don’t cheat, don’t extort and be satisfied.

And to this teaching they responded with expectation.  John, in prophetic style, is reminding the people of what it means to be in covenant with God.  There is nothing new in his teaching but he must have expressed himself in such a way that fear and awe struck and metanoia became a must.

How do I respond to challenging teaching?  Deafness?  Defensiveness?  Dodging?
John is asking the hearer to change.  It reminds me of a mantra a friend of mine shared.  Whenever tempted to redirect the teaching away from oneself: 
Bless them, change me. 
Bless them, change me. 
Bless them, change me.


I trinity of blessing and change in support of my own metanoia.

No comments:

Post a Comment