Sunday, December 6, 2015

Joyful Hope?*

Second Sunday of Advent
Year C
homily preached among the community of St Stephen's, New Harmony, Indiana

The last time I was with you
it was a day and a half after the Paris attacks.
And Yesterday I read about San Bernadino
And its new label: domestic terrorism

What does Advent mean…to us…today?
Who is John the Baptist…to us…today?
What does it mean to be a Christian, a St Stephen’s Christian…today?
What possibly could these biblical texts reveal
to help us make sense…Of OUR… today?

Because honestly
here is what it sounds like to me:
For cryin’ out loud
there is this loud voice in the wilderness
And he is given me a long to-do list:
Prepare
Make straight
Fill
Make low
Make smooth

And then…just be patient…be patient…because
All flesh…All…flesh…shall see the Salvation of God!!!

To me… TODAY
that sounds like a completely overwhelming to-do list
And
I simply can’t imagine
At least not…Today
How we will ever get to that “All flesh shall see” part!

TRUE CONFESSION:
I hear this passage and feel God speaking through John,
who’s speaking through Isaiah
right straight to me…and only me!
He’s hand delivering that giant to-do list into MY hands!

Of course I know that’s poppycock
But in my pride or arrogance
In my private God & Me world
I am tempted over and over again
To be drawn into that I HAVE TO DO place
My TO DO LIST…place
I is a place that can so easily turn frozen and barren and lifeless

I want…this ADVENT…to be a
“wait in joyful hope” Advent
But…Today…Lord Take my Hand

Saturday morning I woke up and had a text message from a dear friend
She’s visiting in Chicago
She’s Waiting
For the arrival...the birth…of a second grandchild.
Along with the message came several photos of Vivien
Vivien is the Big Sis To Be…and she is 2

And one photo
Had Vivien on the stairs
Holding her baby doll
Tenderly
And it looked like she was asleep
On the step…on the third step from the ground
She was in-between
Waiting for something
Not wanting to go to bed for fear that she might miss it

Sweet Vivien…waiting in joyful hope

My office…The pastoral care office
Is right at the entrance to the Hospital for Women and Children
And when I’m attentive
To my surroundings
Come December…Come Advent
I begin to more keenly notice
the women coming in
for their prenatal visits

And…in my attentiveness
I notice their bodies
And how…
         the way they walk and stand and lean
                  Slowly changes
         to accommodate the life growing inside

And when the waiting is almost over
         At that “near the end” visit
I’ll notice one hand on the hip
The feet are a little spread apart as they walk
…a little awkwardly…weeboly wobbling
I’ll notice that the belly button
         is popping through the maternity clothes
And the baby is…without a doubt…in the lead
In fact
It almost seems as if the child is pulling mom…and her family too…
Pulling all along
         “C’mon” the infant says
         Your Waiting in Joyful hope is almost over

Another nine-month Advent gives way to Incarnation

There is a gestation
And it can’t be hurried

I’m thinking that ADVENT
Is a perfect place to be…for now…for today
There aren’t answers in Advent
In fact Advent seems to be
         prime time for tension
It is in-between time
It’s Heaven AND earth time
It is both-and
         both Already AND not-yet
         At the same time…time

There are no quick and easy answers in Advent…no cheap grace

All the gospels give a significant role to John the Baptist
But in the Gospel of Luke
John the Baptist is a very full character
We know his parents
We know the story of his birth
And how he got his name
We know that he is the last great Hebrew prophet
And later we will know about how he lost his head
Rich story surrounds this John

He is a character
Who is in-between

In our short passage today
We can see this quite clearly

That long list of names and places
That started today’s passage
Situates the story in historical time and place
But it does more
These religious and political leaders
These Powers-That-Be
They are all very comfortable with CROOKED
They live within a crooked and violent
         you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours…system

But we also get to glimpse
The Vision of the prophet Isaiah
A grand vision that leads to
“ALL FLESH shall see the salvation of God?”

The reality of God’s vision for our future
         On one side
And the all too vivid picture
         of just how far we are from that vision
         On the other side

It resonates…doesn’t it?

This is Advent tension
And that’s where we are called to wait
It doesn’t come easily… just waiting

It isn’t comfortable
Its not an easy rest…
the metaphor is a desert
Not a SPA

Carving out a desert place…a place of few distractions…
Is, for most of us, so difficult to cultivate
(pull out my phone)
I take my distractions with me EVERYWHERE!
But I’m working on it
I’m not quite ready to give a seminar…but I am working on it!

But if I do…If I can find 10-15 undistracted minutes
In an undistracted place
I can actually pay attention…
To whose voice, by the way, have I been listening?
I have to figure out how to BE, how to allow, and not DO

Every year
The church calls us
To revisit
To retreat
To reclaim
And we do that by setting aside OUR to-do lists
And by accepting God’s invitation to BE
Just BE for a while…
Don’t worry…the doing will surely follow

A well experienced Advent will act like a good editor
All those voices that don’t
In some way
Give birth to Christ
…Red-lined…scratched out

Like the child leading the pregnant mother
to the 3rd floor labor and delivery

The humble, simple, earthy child born of Mary
Will lead us. 
We will submit our to-do list to His

And God will remind us
And whisper in our ears
It’s okay
You don’t have to take it all on

Be in communion with me
And I will do the heavy lifting
And your doing really won’t be your doing
It will be my doing through you

Let me feed you at this table
Come its time for communion
Let me be Advented in you
Let me in…that close…and
         …wait and see what happens.

We proclaim Christ present
In Word, sacrament,
In the power and magnificence of Creation
In this humble gathering

But we also proclaim Christ present
Confoundedly
Unbelievably
Almost preposterously
present
In the suffering that surrounds us
And in our own suffering…

I know that is Good News
But right now
Today
It is okay to stay in the tension
In-between
I’m fine to just sit with it
Wait with it

And pray that “Waiting in Joyful Hope”
Gets a little easier tomorrow
And that we may grow
Into a people
Free of fear…And…full of grace


No comments:

Post a Comment