Thursday, December 17, 2015

…and on and on and on


I've been watching Chicago Fire latelyit keeps me company when I'm baking dozens and dozens of cookies!  And I have noticed that the first thing the first responder does is ask for the victim's name.  Victim is a person.  Persons have particulars.   

The genealogy text gives us Abraham, Jacob, Judah, Perez, Zerah, Tamar, Ram, and on and on.  Three sets of fourteen.  Very particular.  

Christianity claims a universal significance grounded in the particular.  It is easier to love, or at least claim to love, the un-namedthe un-intimate.  The call of God to love always begins with the reach of affection towards those who are immediately about usthose touchable.  Where else can one be schooled in charity?  My first loves fuel my second loves which fuel my third and on and on.  Claiming to love all peoples while remaining aloof to the difficulty of loving that, which is smelly, and angry, and mean, just next-doorwell...is silly and shallow and most certainly not Christian love.  The scandal of particularity that is the incarnation may very well be scandalous, but scandalously necessary.

O Lord
Bless my particular calling
in my particular time and place
among my particular neighbors and friends
This day and every day

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment