Wednesday, August 12, 2015

But it's SO HARD!

Wednesday of Week 19 in Ordinary Time
Matthew 18:15-20

There is much in this short reading from Matthew’s Gospel.  If your brother or sister sins against you skip the triangling and gossip and just go try to figure it out between the two of you.  SO HARD!

If that doesn’t work, move on up and gather a few witnesses, but still, no gossip or triangling.  SO HARD!

Then there is the comment on binding and loosing which just this morning seemed completely new and revelatory to me.  Maybe the point is that whether I loose or whether I bind; it sticks.  But it sticks for me.  If I put the emphasis on what I do, it becomes something pretty thought provoking.  And it certainly bears out in my experience.  If I hold on to the sin (or perceived sin) of another, I have to carry it around with me!  I invite it in to weigh me down!  But if I do what the first part of the reading calls me to then the lightened load is both mine and the other’s.   So being loosed is the goal.  It seems that I have always heard the emphasis on the binding…a kind of power move.  But who is really bound?

No…loosing is the name the game.  And I must make it swift but NOT cheap!  SO HARD!


No comments:

Post a Comment