Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Murmuring Gets Personal

Tuesday of Week 18
Numbers 12:1-13

In counseling terms what we have in the continuing story of the Israelites, is a text-book case of triangling. Miriam and Aaron, the less than famous siblings, exhibit their rivalry as they moan about God's direct and unique relationship with Moses. In typical fashion they bring up his less than honorable marriage to a Midianite woman...classic finger-pointing. This is not a smart move when one of the players is God. The text tells us that Moses was the meekest man on the face of the earth. Cue God's wrath.

It's hard for my 21st century feminist lens to get past the fact that only Miriam is punished with the  leporosy and banished from the camp (just read a little further in the text). What about Aaron? If I go there I'm likely to miss the point.

Heat, not light, is what is produced when I allow my personhood to be defined over-against another. When I draw attention to what is scandalous about another I participate in a scapegoating move. I think I do this in small but frequent ways throughout my day. I've never paid that much attention to it.

Today is a test. Mindfulness to my little pointing finger is the order of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment