Friday, August 14, 2015

"In Stories…Endings Matter"*

Friday of Week 19 in Ordinary TIme
St. Maximilian Kolbe, Priest, Martyr

I’ve had death on my mind lately.  It is a consistent part of my hospital ministry; yesterday I attended a conference on aging; and then this morning, another Martyr, Maximilian Kolbe.

In imitation of Christ, my death has the potential to be fraught with meaning.  This doesn’t mean martyrdom…few are called in that direction, but it does mean that my ending deserves prayer and attention.

In The Rule, St. Benedict urges the monks to “Keep death, daily, before one’s eyes.”   This isn’t in order to live morbidly but to live…period.  It is a reminder to actually live until death.

Atul Gawande, (surgeon, author, public health researcher) in his book Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End*, see’s life as a story and “in stories, endings matter.”

So with The Rule and Gawande I not only ponder the end but I live into it.  An ending implies a story.  May my story be one to tell! 

May I pray and attend to my life and my death!
St. Maximillian Kolbe, Pray for me.
…and what a story!

No comments:

Post a Comment