Sunday, August 23, 2015

Keeping One's Options Open

21st Sunday in Ordinary Time
Joshua 24:1-2A,15-17,18B  
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Psalm 34
John 6:60-69  
Master, to whom shall we go?

The Bread of Life discourse draws to a close.  Jesus' teaching is tough. A commitment is called for and "many of his disciples returned to their former way of life."

This day's selection from the book of Joshua also asks for commitment. Joshua has "all the tribes of Israel" gathered and he says, "If it does not please you to serve the Lord, then...how about I call a cab."

Now is the time.  All the options can't stay on the table. Joshua (and Jesus) would rather not be bogged down with perennial fence-sitters. I suffer from an attraction to keeping my options open. It is, I suppose, a result of living with so many options. I am reminded of that person staring at the cereal options in the grocery store.  Keeping one's options open is a legitimate life-theme in my world. Not for Joshua. For Joshua...and Jesus, being non-committal is its own kind of slavery.

There are days when I am so deliberate about my commitment:  As for me and my house...
And then, on other days I shrug a little like Peter: Where else would I go...

Either way, I throw my lot in. I am tethered by choice to my God and my people. And the paradox is that the tether is liberating!

Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life;
you have the words of everlasting life. 

Alleluia, alleluia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment