Saturday, August 8, 2015

Mustard Seeds, Mountains and Weary Disciples

Saturday, August 8
Feast of St. Dominic

I'd like to ignore today's Gospel passage.  Jesus is harsh and cryptic.  But in honor of St. Dominic, I will wrestle with this text!

Matthew 17:14-20, has Jesus healing the lunatic son of a man who came up to Jesus and knelt down before him.  A clue to the Gospel's narrative intent might be found in how this scene has been changed from the Marcan version.  In Matthew, the Marcan focus on the man, his faith, and the vivid description of the ailment and cure, has been re-oriented.  Matthew is highlighting the disciples' little faith instead.  But then Jesus gets all supportive again…even little faith, mustard seed faith can move mountains.

Is Jesus cautioning the disciples?  Is he preparing them for when they WILL abandon Jesus and show very little faith?  Is he comforting them with the mustard seed thing so that when that is all they have they will remember that it is enough?

I think so.  I think so because I need that too.  I have phases of abandonment or dry-spells, times when the worries of my life just take over and I can't seem to allow myself to receive.  When I need to let go the most, I instead tighten my grasp.  NO!  You can't have any more control over my life!  I only have a little bit left!

The weakness of these first disciples, those who knew Jesus in the flesh, is comforting to me.  I like being in good company.  But I do have to hold onto at least a mustard seed!  

St. Dominic, pray for me and inspire all those who wrestle to preach a Word that will rouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment