Thursday, August 20, 2015

Some Tough Language

Thursday of Week 20 in Ordinary Time
(St. Bernard, Abbot, Doctor)
Judges 11:29-39*
Matthew 22:1-14

I admit to being very uncomfortable with this parable.  I much prefer the Lucan version (14:15-21) without the murder, the ejection of the one with improper clothing, and the darkness where there is the standard Matthean wailing and gnashing of teeth.  My 21st century sensibilities are too polite!  But deal with it, I must.

This passage is directed to the Chief Priests and Pharisees and provides an explanation for the mixed reception of the gospel.  At the writing of this gospel the Temple has been destroyed and this unfolding drama, with God using the Roman army as instruments of His wrath, is status quo in Israel's history.  No shock there.

So I shed my politeness and I see this parable emphasizing the HUGE invitation that God delivers through Jesus.  I see the inclusion of the weak and marginal.  I can taste the bounty of the table.

Behold I have prepared my meal; my oxen and fatted calves have been slaughtered, and all are ready.  Come to the wedding feast.

And just because I think I have accepted the invitation…mere admission isn't quite enough!  I must take up my role in the ongoing story.  And the wailing and gnashing do put a little umph in my step!

St. Bernard, who, leading by example, took on a corrupted Church, pray for me!

*In Judges, the saga continues...things are heating up again as Jephthah promises God, "whoever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites shall belong to the Lord. (i.e. human sacrifice)  And guess who has missed him the most?  His only child, his singing, dancing, tambourine playing daughter.  I guess the whole giving up child sacrifice took a while to stick. 



No comments:

Post a Comment