Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Psalm 139 You are there, and there, and there...

Wednesday of Week 21 in Ordinary Time
1 Thessalonians 2:9-13
Psalm 139
Matthew 23:27-32 

In Thessalonians, Paul continues the theme of parent and child to describe the missionary care he brings to the community born of his apostleship.  He loves them and is full of gratitude.  And Jesus, in Matthew's gospel, continues his challenges (and he's not above poignant name-calling) to the Scribes and Pharisees.

All this is a bit of the same thing as yesterday…which took me to the Psalm.

I so needed this Psalm-Prayer this morning.  It made me remember a song version by Bernadette Farrell that closely mirrors the text of this psalm.  

(Click here for a very prayerful singing)

O God you search me and you know me
All my thoughts lie open to your gaze
When I walk or lie down you are before me
Ever the maker and keeper of my days.

You know my resting and my rising
you discern my purpose from afar
And with love everlasting you besiege me
in every moment of life or death, you are.

Although your Spirit is upon me
Still I search for shelter from your light
There is nowhere on earth I can escape you
Even the the darkness is radiant in your sight.

For you created me and shaped me 
gave me life within my mothers womb
for the wonder of who I am I praise you
safe in your hands all creation is made new.

This day…
May my seeking for "shelter from your light" be diminished 
May I welcome your gaze upon my thoughts and words and deeds
May the safety of your hands extend through me to all that crosses my path
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment