Monday, October 19, 2015

a la Cindy

Monday of the 29th Week of Ordinary Time
Saints John of Brebeuf and Isaac Jogues, priests,
and their Companions, Martyrs

Being rich in what matters to God is the quest of the wise and faithful disciple.  But saying Amen to this articulation of the quest is the first and easiest step.  The tough part is looking at my life and seeing…really seeing…that which prevents the realization of the object of my Amen.

Take care to guard against all greed. (v15)  I like the other translations that give more passion to Jesus' words:  Watch out!!!  Be on your guard against all kinds of greed!

What is greed?  How many kinds are there in my life?  

No googling.  
Just my own reflection.  
Greed a la Cindy.  1.  A grasping/clenching to that which I came to possess out of fear of not having it or because of the attention I might receive possessing it.  2. An acquisitiveness without relation to the object of my many Amens.

So whenever I say Amen I am promising to change…at least a little.  To be authentic I will need to either become more attentive to that object…being rich in what matters to God, or stop all the Amens.

It is way easier to type this than to realize it…

Saints of God---all of you, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment