Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Jonah & Prayer

Wednesday of Week 27 in Ordinary Time
Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary

Jonah, the receiver of so much God Attention, continues to have a hard time getting out of himself.  All I can say is that GOD IS SO PATIENT!


If I'm honest, like Jonah, I recognize my own "forgivableness" much more easily than I do those "Ninevites"…those obvious sinners…in my life, community, church, world!  


I love this story!  It helps me own my Jonah, my Ninevite, my attempts to manipulate God…as if God can't find me in my "self-made, shaded, hidey-hut."


I love Luke 11:1-4 too!  Perhaps the prayer is the recipe for keeping my Jonah in check.  I think I'm going to start adding the line "Lord teach us to pray" to my recitation of the Lord's Prayer.  It will remind me to deepen my prayer.  Maybe everyone is a student when it comes to prayer?  My Mom used to say about babies "sleep induces sleep"…in other words DON"T wake her up!  Lately, I'm thinking that prayer induces prayer.  Let it be so.  I ask (along with Alison Krauss) Make my life a living prayer!


No comments:

Post a Comment