Sunday, October 11, 2015

Up At Night

28th Sunday in Ordinary Time


I admit it. This gospel text keeps me up at night.

The computer I'm typing on, a high-end Macbook Pro...
The house I'm comfortable in…
The cars in my garage…

I am an owner of many things.  The Gospel wants to teach me something real important about my "owning"…hence the up at night.

I accumulate and then I protect.  That's why I paid so many bills from insurance companies yesterday!
Insecurity is the enemy.  There is no insurance broad enough in coverage to fix my up at night.  I don't have an answer.  I am, I believe, meant to struggle here.   If I didn't then I would have complete security! 

Here is what I do know.  When I find myself at the bedside of death I am on holy ground.  That ground is complete and total insecurity.  It is like that trapeze artist who has just let go of one bar and is midair counting on that next bar being where it should be.  

Midair.  
Holding on to nothing.  
Trusting.   

We live in time.  But the Gospel calls us to be grounded in eternity.  And that is one helluva balancing act.  


St. Julian, Patron Saint of Circus Workers, Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment