Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Listening to Paul…Tuesday of Week 11

2 Corinthians 8:1-9

It seems that the first and last thirds of this letter are Paul defending his apostleship but in this middle section he's intent on giving.  This collection for the poor in Jerusalem is an act of faith in something bigger than the local.  It is a sign of unity.  Are Paul's tactics manipulative?  He holds up the good example of the Macedonians and then exhorts the Corinthians.  That's a parenting move I've used from time to time.  

What I know is that it took such a mirror, gently and lovingly held to my face, for me to see my own clenched fists.  What is discipleship made of?  According to Paul "giving yourself first to the Lord" results in "begging for the favor of taking part in the service of the holy ones."

I have felt this way.  I don't always feel this way.  So perhaps, like the Corinthians, my genuineness needs to be tested by my concern for others.  And who better to do that than a loving companion "on the way."

May I let go of needing perfection in the Church and do my part for unity…but not all at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment