Thursday, June 25, 2015

Wednesday of the 12th Week - Those Alternative Readings

This day's reading from Genesis is tough. And the "alternative reading" prunes a lot of the toughest stuff off. There is Hagar, property of both Sarai and Abram.  There is surrogate baby making with no regard for birth mother and the value of womanhood reduced to uterine proficiency.  Slavery, surrogacy, sex, and snottiness. How do I reach through to the crux of the story?  How can it speak to me today?

I suppose the story is telling about how God keeps his promises in less than favorable circumstances. Where I might see barriers, God sees creative opportunities.  Where I see barrenness, God visions fruitfulness. Where I see categories, God sees persons, unique and with names. Where I see victims, God sees heroines.

Who can tell the mighty deeds of the Lord,
Or proclaim all his praises?   Psalm106

Who indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment