Wednesday, June 3, 2015

On Turning "Out To Get You" Into Grace

Wednesday of Week 9

Yesterday it was the story of Tobit and the bird droppings that landed in his eyes and made him blind.  Today, he and Sarah call out desperately to God.  Backstabbing, ridicule, thoughts of suicide, unconsummated marriages…vivid storytelling indeed.   Tobit is paired with the passage from Mark about Jesus responding to the Sadducees who are trying to trip him up with respect to "whose wife will she be?"  They don't believe in the resurrection of the dead anyway so there is no real quest here for wisdom.

So, I wonder…how often do I jump into discussions or arguments without any real desire for knowledge or wisdom?  How often am I motivated only by my desire to be right or to look smart and then pleased with myself?  Answer:  Too often;)

The beautiful thing about this text (once I let myself get beyond the misogyny) is how patient Jesus is.  He knows who they are and what their motives are.  The text makes that quite obvious.  He loves them.  That's the bottom line.  Its a test and a trap and Jesus' love, patience and generosity can turn that into grace.  To have a generous heart, eager to offer the benefit of the doubt, a worthy prayer for this day…

Saint Charles Lwanga and Companions
Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment