Thursday, June 4, 2015

Thursday of Week 9 in Ordinary Time

THE GREAT COMMANDMENT(S)


Because Luke's is my "go to" Gospel, I tend to hone in on the neighbor aspect of the Great Commandment.  But I am wondering if the groundedness that comes from reciting the Shema three times a day might be something I need to attend to?  Listening to "Pray-As-You-Go" this morning, the question was posed, "What changes might I need to make to live out that love at its best?" 

I remember how Fr. Aurelius Boberek, OSB, a monk of St. Meinrad and Professor of Liturgy, started each class.  Attempting to ground us in both the love of God and our deep tradition he led us in chanting the Shema and the Barukh Sheim (a liturgical response to the Shema.)  

Sh'ma Yis'ra'eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad.
Hear, Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One.
Barukh sheim k'vod malkhuto l'olam va'ed.
Blessed be the Name of His glorious kingdom for ever and ever.

Jewish Roots of Christian Liturgy was the name of Fr. Aurelius' class.  I believe that being grounded in the Lord as One, remembering often and deliberately, is an attitude and practice I hope to grow in my prayer life.  


Ground my love of neighbor in love for you, O Lord.

Let my love for you, highlight all that is not you that clammers for my attention.
Let my love for you participate in the transformative power of your mysterious Oneness.
For this I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment