Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Week 9 in Ordinary Time…No Ordinary Martyrs

Yesterday it was Saint Justin; today Saints Marcellinus and Peter.  Martyrs all three.  In the Gospel selection we hear "the things of Caesar give back to Caesar, and the things of God to God."

In a few short verses we will hear the Great commandment to love God with heart, mind, soul and strength…with everything.  It makes me wonder what's left for Caesar?  What ever was Caesar's to begin with?  Is that why the pharisees were so "amazed?"  Did Jesus just make it sound good to give Caesar back what is Caesar's, knowing full well that that "what" is nothing of any real value?  

My life is a gift.  It is on loan to me.  God wants the whole of me.  May my stewardship response to that gift be a return to God of all my heart, mind, soul and strength.  And the only way it gets to God is through my neighbor.  I have many Caesars, many alluring distractions that infatuate my being.  Give me a martyrs discernment, the kind of clarity that properly orders the confusion I often find.

Saints Justin and Marcellinus and Peter…Pray for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment