Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Genesis 12:1-9, Monday Week 12

God sets Abram off on a journey. He receives such a specific and clear call from God that he must respond. I think of all the fears. But, I'm old, really old. But, I've lived in this spot all my life. But, this is so outside my comfort zone. But, I was just getting ready to retire peacefully. But, me?  I'm not the adventurous type.  But I'm scared.

It's always easier in retrospect to see my fears overcome and to be grateful for whatever it was that forced the facing. But to be proactive, to leave safety and to journey toward that next fear is a different story. But I think it is the Abrahamic story. If I am truly honest, God is always calling me to move (even if slowly) toward and eventually through my fears. In my life, fears amount to grasping on to all the security I think I can surround myself with. Money security. Health security. Relationship security. Family security. Fear turns what ought to be an outward looking soul into one that is huddled and self consumed.

Without uncomfortable reflection, in and among the communion of Saints, I might look saintly enough but I am, in fact, a fraud.  Honestly, I'm scared to hear God calling. Very scared.  Very, very, scared.

God of Abraham
Let me hear and believe
your promise of blessing
That I might replace
Little by little
My fear with trust in the journey that is calling my name.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment