Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tuesday of Week 10 in Ordinary Time

When I read today's Gospel about "being the light of the world" I quickly started hearing that campy song from my childhood.  We sang it often back in the 70's...in fact way too much.  The result cheapened this text for me and today I breezed over it as if to hurry and get past it.  

Now, having rid myself of my "auto-response" I only have to go back so far as yesterday to recognize how likely I am to forget that I am a part of the light of the world.  Believing that places a huge responsibility on me.  And that responsibility looks a lot like burden if I forget that I am not in this thing alone.  I am not the ENTIRE light!  I am not a LONE light!  I am not the light switch, or the Bic, or the match, or the spark.  I am my unique and indispensable candle among an infinitesimally large candelabra.  Phew…I think I can handle that with a little help from my friends!

The Gospel acclamation today is 
"Let your light shine before others that they may see your good deeds and glorify God!"

So, somehow my taking up my place on the grand candelabra, ought to lead others to their own encounter with the living God.  My piece of the light of the world, unique and powerful as it potentially is, is nothing alone.  It's a lot easier to blow out a single candle than a birthday cake full!  The burden is lifted…for now anyway.  Let it shine…today!

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
Psalm 26:1

No comments:

Post a Comment