Thursday, June 18, 2015

Matthew 6:7-15 Teach Us To Pray

"Teach us to pray" is itself a habitual part of my prayer. There is so much talk of prayer...words and more words (as I type away;)

"Do not heap up empty phrases," a warning for the times I approach God uneasy with listening and silence.  I admit it!  Often when I celebrate Eucharist I become irritated by the onslaught of words. Separately, they are beautiful but layer upon layer cheapens the one before and tires me. Why do we feel the need to fill all the silences?

Jesus teaches us to keep it simple.  Matthew's account is about how not simply what.  First, remember who God is.  Remember who I am related to God. Recall the big picture, the advent of the kingdom, remember who's kingdom it is.  And then a few specifics...food, forgiveness, protection. It's an ancient pattern of how. But I do love having prayers to fall back on throughout the day or when I'm so torn up I can't find any words of my own.  I imagine how many Christians over the years have held onto to the Lord's Prayer in times of distress. What a communion that is!  And how comforting the company.

Of late it has been the Glory Be that I often reach for. It has an incredible calming and reorienting effect on my worry and stress. It's very unclutteredness is prayerful.

Glory be to the Father
And to the Son
And to the Holy Spirit
As it was in the beginning
Is now
And ever shall be
World without end
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment