Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Wednesday the 10th of June in the 10th Week of Ordinary Time

Growing in Confidence…Paul Style

When I read from Paul's letters I am challenged to remember how very different we are.  Paul, so dramatically and radically changed, sees things through the passion and near-violence of his experience on the road.  So my caution to myself this morning as I read 2 Corinthians 3:4-11, was to focus on his exuberance over the liberation felt when things all of the sudden are in right focus.  He only needed that very heated ONCE.  My experience has been more frequent and less dramatic…but still on the road.

"Not that of ourselves we are qualified to take credit for anything as coming from us; rather, our qualification comes from God, who has indeed qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of letter but of spirit."  

I left out the part about the letter bringing death.  But for Paul it did.  The law became an idol.  AND it was still glorious.  I love how Paul won't throw anything away.  It speaks to me about the ingredients that make for "growing in confidence."  So, whether presenting a first scholarly paper for peer review, or starting a new ministry in a venue that seems off-limits, or taking any kind of new direction on the road, it will be that Pauline deference to the whence of authentic confidence that will provide a welcoming space for the Holy Spirit.

May I say confidently with Paul, Brothers and sisters:  Such confidence we have through Christ toward God!

No comments:

Post a Comment