Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Immaculate Heart of Mary

I had a professor that once said "Mary is too important to leave to the kooks."  And I think I understand.  It's the balance between what makes her so different...immaculate, most holy, glorious ever virgin, and what makes her a sister and disciple extraordinaire to be called upon every day for everyday reasons.

I have found among the patients I visit a keen awareness of Mary as gentle mother.  One who is easy to weep with and to trouble.  Sometimes only a mother will do.

And like yesterday's reflection on the heart of Jesus, the heart is that place of vulnerability where my wounds are open and positioned to be healed. It takes another heart to fulfill the task.  Mary's or Jesus's or my neighbor's are welcome.

I understand immaculate and spotless, theologically. But as a companion and prayer partner Mary has dirt under her fingernails and wrinkles from all her pondering.  Mary has many names in the tradition, some heavenly, and some more earthy.

BLESSED AMONG WOMAN,
FULL OF GRACE,
LADY OF SORROWS,
MORNING STAR,
QUEEN OF PEACE,
VIRGIN MOTHER,
And my favorite,
THEOTOKOS...God Bearer aka Christian Disciple
Kinda like me only her title is both literal and figurative.
And of course she's the first and the all-time best!

Mary, QUEEN of the Apostles, pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment