Thursday, July 16, 2015

Elusive Wisdom…Elusive Rest

Thursday of Week 15 in Ordinary Time
Matthew 11:28-30


Jesus said:
"Come to me,
all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy,
and my burden light."


Yoke…Labor…Rest, these words echo the wisdom tradition in the scriptures and so point the seeker of wisdom to the person of Jesus.  Wisdom is not the reward of burdens carried well by the strong and the brilliant.   The "Who" question is again answered.  Who gets to receive this revelation of Jesus?  Those infants (11:25), and those the Son chooses (11:27).  

I often hear myself saying things like "If I can just get through------then----"  It evidences how I think in terms of burden and benefit.  And so my burden is mine to be endured alone lest I give away some of my future benefit!  But that is not Jesus-logic.  No.  Burdens are burdens, not equations.  They are not fairly distributed.  My quest for learning wisdom and finding rest will be served by sharing both my burdens and my benefits out of humility and meekness.  

The question is then:  Can I let myself be so liberated?

No comments:

Post a Comment