Thursday, July 30, 2015

Where the Holy Dwells

Thursday of Week 17
Exodus 40:16-21, 34-38

The Exodus story continues to unfold. Moses is building a tent to perfection at God's direction. A sacred space to house the tablets. The veil, the cloud, and the light signal this sacred place...a Holy of Holies. The struggle to move from many Gods to one couldn't have been a quick cultural shift. The residue of the many was in every gust of wind, or storm, or fire. Perhaps after the golden calf incident the Israelites needed a singular place of focus...monotheistic training wheels.

With the incarnation the Holy of Holies is once again everywhere. But it is the one God, always and everywhere; even and especially in the cries of the poor. I wonder if my struggle to see  God's presence in what appears godforsaken in my world is my "Israelite" back up position?  The memory of the joy of seeing God in all things keeps me plugging away...trying to conform myself to Christ. But reminders are good. The Israelites needed the Holy Tent. I need Sacraments, sacramentals, community, prayer.  I need a regular rhythm of calling to mind my place in the unfolding story on the incarnation.  I need church. 

Addendum:
St Peter Chrysologus, Bishop
Chrysologus means "golden speech."  He was known for his short sermons...I will adopt his patronage for the Aquinas Institute Cohort 14!


No comments:

Post a Comment