Tuesday, July 7, 2015

My Perennial Wrestling Partner - Tuesday Week 14

Genesis 32:23-33

I was challenged this morning to re-think my typical understanding of the Jacob wrestling with the Angel text.  And it worked.  Jacob has been a "hot-mess" so far in the story.  He lies, cheats and steals.  The big question seems to be about WHO Jacob is really wrestling with.  He has a number of characters from his past who would be likely candidates.  But here he is, frightened out of his mind that brother Esau is going to blow him and everything he loves (or if not loves at least owns) to bits.  Then this wrestling occurs.  Nothing like panic to cause an identity crisis.  I forget that the title of this passage is a title…not part of sacred scripture at all.  In actuality the only person who purports that the wrestling opponent is divine is Jacob…the ego-maniac!  Who do I wrestle with?  Most often myself.  The wrestling itself is a sign of my own inner conflict.  To the extent that I see that wrestling through to a conclusion…to that degree...I am quite broken open.  

What happens to Jacob after this wrestling?  His big, bad fears…his big, bad enemy…turns out to be a real brother.  It is like the bogey-man in the closet.  Where is God in this story?  Perhaps on both sides…breaking down Jacob's hot-mess of a person and warming Esau's heart to forgive.  Grace abounds in-between.

Today, I'll surely find myself a la Jacob or a la Esau…either way I hope to be surprised by grace!

(click here for the food for thought I had for breakfast related to this Genesis text thanks to John C. Holbert;)

No comments:

Post a Comment