Thursday, July 9, 2015

Spending Peace

Thursday of Week 14 in Ordinary Time
Feast day of many Martyrs


As you enter a house, wish it peace.  
If the house is worthy; let your peace come upon it; 
if not, let your peace return to you.  Matthew 10:13

There are two things that strike me this morning.  The first is the fluidness of the wishing; the passiveness of the letting.  And the second, is that the text doesn't say "take your gift of peace back!" 


There is this calm about letting the peace come and letting it return.  It strikes me hard that it is best that I not try to discern worthiness ahead of time.  That would interrupt the letting it come part.  But I do that all the time as if my store of peace is scarce.  

As I type I see my own faulty logic…it's not my store!  And if I take it back in reaction to a perceived ungraciousness, I'm very liable to transform that peace into resentment…in effect spoiling its nutritive power.  And that, subverts the second.

My mantra for today:  It's your peace, Lord.  It's your peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment