Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth

Tuesday of Week 17 in Ordinary Time

Mathew's fond of this phrase, using it five times. Me...not so much.  It's always in reference to the final judgement.  I get caught between the gnashing of teeth in fiery Gehenna and the psalmist's refrain: The Lord is Kind and Merciful...slow to anger, rich in kindness. What I need to hear from these judgement texts is that it all matters. The how of my living is fraught with consequence.

It's  a balancing act to avoid becoming paralyzed by scrupulosity on the one hand and throwing in the towel because the world is in such need, on the other.

I will seek to find that balance. And I'll add joy and humor...certain gifts of the Holy Spirit.
But I'm seriously counting on the kind and merciful!  Seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment