Thursday, July 23, 2015

Eyes and Ears of the Heart

Matthew 13:10-17

But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and hear what you hear but did not hear it.

I recognize another parenting move. Name the gifts and blessings, so obvious to the wise elders. And call the children into themselves. Help them to grow into their own blessedness.

I'm often awed by people who have that gift of attention that makes me feel like I'm the only person in the world, that my worries and cares are vital and important. Jesus attends in that way to the disciples. He attends that way to me. But I need the ears and eyes of my heart to widen my gaze and be drawn toward the God who knows me better than I know myself.

O Lord, it is your tender and patient voice I open the ears of my heart to hear. Reveal to me, O Lord, the path I don't see...the one marked with my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment