Sunday, July 19, 2015

Gathering and Scattering

16th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Jeremiah 23:1-6
Psalm 23
Mark 6:30-34

There seems to be a theme of gathering and scattering going on in today's readings. The scattering is deliberate and with purpose for the disciples who are returning home from their evangelical treks. For the people Jeremiah is referring to, and the crowds keen on following Jesus, not so.

I sometimes catch myself saying "I feel so scattered."  And I mean that I am aimless and even slightly disoriented. I feel like a sheep without a shepherd.  As I get older this becomes more in focus and at the same time more of a trap. As I get older and my elders are fewer I assume the role of shepherd. I need a shepherd too lest that 'scattering' become pathological.  I'm counting on "wisdom years";)  I pray I do my part to till the soil.

The Lord is my shepherd!
May I be gathered in the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment