Monday, July 20, 2015

S-T-R-E-T-C-H

Matthew 16:46-50
Tuesday of Week 16 in Ordinary Time

And stretching out his hands toward his disciples, he said,
Here are my mother and my brothers and sisters. 

Compared to Mark's version of the "Who is my family?" passage, which has Jesus' family questioning his very sanity, Matthew's is nice and polite. He doesn't need a stark contrast to make his point. But it does lose some punch.

As I get older I find myself more and more attached to persons, places, and things. A kind of romantic nostalgia settles over me. I suppose that's my way of coping with how quickly time is unfolding in this life.   But if I can have a gospel attitude...an attitude that even loosens notions as bedrock as "family", maybe I can travel a bit more lightly through this life. Maybe my time won't be burdened by lugging all that nostalgia around with me.

Sunday liturgy really helps. Communion is the sacrament of the ONE body. That's more tightly knit than any notions of family I hold dear.  I still hold them dear...but in Jesus style I s-t-r-e-t-c-h and try to loosen my grip on some of my luggings.

No comments:

Post a Comment