Monday, July 27, 2015

On Forgetfulness and Idolatry

Today the Church continues in Exodus with the story of impatience and the Golden Calf (with the blessing of Aaron no less). Psalm 106 reflects on that sin of the people:
They forgot the God who saved them.

I've been thinking about the problem of forgetfulness. I'm thinking that it is the side effects that are so dangerous. In middle school science I remember learning that "nature abhors a vacuum". So when I forget how God has been present, active and saving in my life, a space opens up. It seems true to experience that if I'm not attentive that is the space that gets filled with idolatry. It takes the form of slipping into gossipy conversation or maybe a heightened desire for that which, just days ago, I judged value-less.

I live close to an old Methodist church where the bells ring three times a day. When I'm home the auditory cue causes me pause. Something that simple can break into my daily life and wordlessly prompt a remembering. Cues, be they auditory, olfactory, or visual might just be the aide I need. Time for some creative cue  pondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment