Friday, July 3, 2015

Friday, July 3rd - Feast of St Thomas, Apostle - Ephesians 2:19-22

Ephesians is all about unity.  Jews, Gentiles, uncircumcised, haunted past…whatever it was, it all stands within the grasp of the one true God Jesus came to reveal.

The motif is that of a building; a household of God with a firm foundation and one very key stone that holds everything in place.  This key stone, capstone, cornerstone is Christ.  This household continues to grow in service to the Lord and so becomes a "dwelling place of God in the Spirit."

This word dwelling is weighty for me.  Just saying it real slowly makes me throw open my arms in a kind of "bring it all on" gesture.  My sensibility hears the word dwell, and adds in, with, and among.   It captures a necessary engagement in the life exchange of a community.  I have lots of dwelling places.  Places where I am in, with and among.  They all don't have Christ as capstone.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that only one of them has been consciously attempting for it to be so.  The big picture of Ephesians, and all the unity talk, means that wherever I find myself dwelling…well it is God's.  God is there wanting no part of my life to be unfit for the Holy Spirit's dwelling.

Thanks be to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment