Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Jesus…All Worked Up!

Tuesday of Week 15 in Ordinary Time
Matthew 11:20-24

This is when it is good to have a lectionary.  Without it I would skip over these parts where Jesus is angry and threatening.  But "fully human" has to include angry and threatening!  Smoldering below this tension is Matthew's growing theme of rejection that builds to the cross.  

I think Jesus' mood ought to hit me close to home.  Even if I would rather have Jesus just love me all the time…which of course he does but not in an easy, sweet and cuddly way.  What seems to make Jesus get all worked up is that for all his wonder-working, he's not getting quite the intended response…repentance.  

What do I do with good news?  What happens to me when I witness God's power breaking in on my life and surroundings?  Do I just stop at awe and wonder thinking how blessed I am to witness such goodness?  Or do I let it change me?  Do I let it draw me in so that I become a participant in the goodness?  Repentance is an acknowledgement that I cannot stay the same after an experience of awe and wonder.  

This is really hard.  This is why communities of faith with prodding liturgical calendars and well rounded worship are so important.  Praise.  Petition.  Lament.  Confession.  I need it all in various doses at various times…I just might not realize it.

Create in me a clean heart, O God.  psalm 51
...And help me be open to becoming someone new and improved!

No comments:

Post a Comment