Friday, July 24, 2015

Of Seeds and Hermits

Friday of Week 16 in Ordinary Time
Feast of St Charbel Makhlouf
Matthew 13:18-23

Sometimes I get intrigued by the feast day of saints I've never heard of. Today we are remembering Charbel, who was drawn to the ascetic life in imitation of the desert fathers. The part of the story that attracts me is how many were drawn to seek him out in his hermitage in the desert...for counsel and confession. What an interesting form of celebrity. 

Matthew gives us the parable of the Sower. I identify with the seed falling in the rocks. I wonder if unrootedness isn't at the root (pun intended) of the angst that ebbs and flows into my living. The hermit went out into the desert to tend to his rootedness in the Lord. And the beauty of that healthy and fruitful life was attractive to many. He was a celebrity from the ground up. 

What fascinates me?  What attracts me and allures me?  Is it the beauty of something deep-seeded?  Or skin deep?  What attraction do I offer the world?

May I eat and drink deeply of the Word of Life
May I be watered and pruned and rooted in the richness of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment